Topology is the study of topological spaces: point sets endowed with "nearness" information. The purpose of this course is to develop our intuition about topological spaces as we study key examples, learn various constructions and prove fundamental theorems of topology.
This course, held Fall 2022 at Cornell University, will be divided into two parts: the first part will cover the basics of general point-set topology and the second part will introduce cellular complexes and algebraic topology.
- Instructor: Nima Hoda
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office hours: Tuesdays and Wednesdays, 3:30pm – 4:30pm in 402 Malott Hall.
- TA: Hazel Brenner
- Email: email@example.com
- Office hours: Wednesday, 11:00am – 12:00pm and Thursday, 4:00pm – 5:00pm in 218 Malott Hall.
- Textbook: Topology (2nd Edition) by James R. Munkres
- Lectures: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 11:25am – 12:40pm in 224 Malott Hall, Cornell University.
- 30%: homework
- 15%: prelim exam #1: in-class on Tue. Sep. 20
- 15%: prelim exam #2: in-class on Tue. Nov. 1
- 40%: final exam
|1||Aug. 23||Aug. 25||§12 – §14|
|2||Aug. 30||Sep. 1||§15, §16|
|3||Sep. 6||Sep. 8||§17, §18|
|4||Sep. 13||Sep. 15||§19, §20|
|5||Sep. 20*||Sep. 22||§21, §22|
|6||Sep. 27||Sep. 29||§23, §24|
|7||Oct. 4||Oct. 6||§25, §26|
|8||Fall break||Oct. 13||§27 – §29|
|9||Oct. 18||Oct. 20||§31, §32|
|10||Oct. 25||Oct. 27||§33, §34|
|11||Nov. 1*||Nov. 3||§35, §37|
|12||Nov. 8||Nov. 10||§51, §52|
|13||Nov. 15||Nov. 17||§53, graphs|
|14||Nov. 22||Thanksgiving||§54, 2-complexes|
|15||Nov. 29||Dec. 1||§58, surfaces|
* In-class preliminary exam on this date.
Homework assignments will be posted to the MATH 4530 gradescope.
There is now a MATH 4530 Ed Discussion where you can discuss topics covered in lecture as well as solutions to problems.